Sunday, March 3, 2013

Obama’s Trek Wars!


In talking about the sequester with it’s draconian cuts to the US Budget, President Obama induced a real head slapping moment for nerds everywhere when he said “I’m presenting a fair deal, the fact that they don’t take it means that I should somehow do a Jedi mind-meld with these folks and convince them to do what’s right,”.  “Jedi mind meld”? There's Jedi mind tricks and Vulcan mind melds. This mixing up of franchises caused groans from nerds through out the land.   


He certainly knows better, after all Nichelle Nichols, the actress that played Lt. Uhura on Star Trek, visited him at the Oval Office earlier this year. Interesting story about her; she was unsatisfied with her role and had planned to leave Star Trek in 1967 after its first season, but a conversation with Martin Luther King, Jr. convinced her to continue, telling her that she was a role model for the black community. As it turned out, King was quite a Trekkie. He told Nichelle “Don’t you realize this gift this man (series creator Gene Rodenberry) has given the world? Men and Women of all races going forth in peaceful exploration, living as equals”.  Below is one of my favorites shots of Nichelle; this is the only time she's ever shown to be in a Jefferies Tube. However, I digress.


Certainly, I have issues with Obama over several things, especially the 2012 NDAA, the drone program, and some of his policies and approaches, and I consider the indefinite holding of prisoners at Guantanamo Bay without trials to be a stain on the US Constitution, but, I’m going to give Obama a break on this one and chalk it up to the stress of the sequester. I do owe his a serious lampooning soon though. Here I’ve even shown him as Jedi Knight Mace Windu fighting against some imaginary allegations. I ask you, Mr. President, to never mix up Star Trek and Star Wars again, unless you want to face…The Wrath of the Nerds! 








No comments:

Post a Comment